A bit of history

Last night was pretty cool. I was told I should go to institute, to make up for missing on Tuesday, and I am glad I did. There was a special program done where the Patriarch for the church, Elder Smith, and his wife spoke to us. Elder Smith is cool for a lot of reasons. First of all, he turned 100 years old in January. If I could be as lively and quick as he is at 100, I will gladly. Also, he is the great-great-grandson of Hyrum Smith. For those of you familiar with the LDS religion, that name will ring a bell. For those of you not, Hyrum's brother, Joseph Smith, Jr. is the first prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Hyrum played an instrumental role in the early days of the church and gave his life trying to save his brother.

Sister Smith spoke to us about family. It is, after all, a fundamental in our church. She also spoke to us about Lucy Mack Smith (mother of Joseph and Hyrum) and the amazing job she did raising this family and the support they gave to each other. She brought with her Lucy's foot stool and dinner bell.

Elder Smith spoke about the early days of the restoration and the process Joseph went through to receive the ancient record that was later translated to The Book of Mormon - much of which was actually new to me. At 100 years old, he was still able to bring this story to life and portray the very humanness of these men we revere. He did it not in a way to detract, but to add to my admiration of them. He brought with him the clothing that Hyrum was wearing the day he was killed. Also the watch that he had with him, and one that had been left at home.(It is referenced in some of the stories of the martyrdom.) He also brought the box that Hyrum had lent to Joseph to carry the ancient record in.

Anyway, besides learning about stuff I thought I knew already, it was just a good meeting.

Plus, I got to see Matt. He's been avoiding me lately ;) Apparently I've pushed him over the edge, because he's moving to NC next month... I mean, really, what is up with people moving to NC.... Ok, really he's moving for other reasons... and we wish him every luck in his endeavors!

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum