Traditions

Tonight we held fast to an about 10 years now Christmas Tradition. We attended The Forgotten Carols. This is a musical, for lack of a better word, about some of the less remembered Christmas stories and of course, songs about such. My favorite Carol to sing is "I Cry the Day that I Take the Tree Down" because in my heart I always wanted to be a jazz singer... which kind of ties in to what my actual favorite Carol is. It is Handel's Carol. It is the story of a dream that Handel had about trying out for the choir that was to herald our Savior's birth. He sang and sang and sang, but he couldn't really sing and didn't make the choir. As he is leaving he asks the choir master to hear the song in his heart. The music from "The Messiah" then plays. Angel Handel is told that although he still can not sing in the choir, his song will be heard. More music from "The Messiah."

Now, the reason this is my favorite... All my life I have been surrounded by people who are so obviously talented. Many are beautiful singers, some are artists, others have such passion for things you can't help but enjoy them too, some are excellent listeners, some tell jokes, some just have a way of making people feel loved. I have often felt just like the little angel Handel. His carol gives me hope. Some day, I will figure out what it is that I am meant to do here. I will figure out what my gift is, who I am to share it with, and what good I am meant to do. My prayer is that I am not filling my life with so much "busy work" that I will miss it, and when I figure out what it is that I will brave enough to do it.

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum