Jacksonville and St Augustine

So, I had decided I was going to not talk about food for a while, but unfortunately, when you're on a work trip, there's not a lot else to talk about. So, prepare...

Wednesday night I spent a lovely evening with Curtis and Amy. It was nice to sit down to a home cooked meal and even better that I didn't have to cook it. They are on a healthy eating kick too, so that was even better. I am very fortunate to be spending the week with a coworker I like. Let's face it, we've all worked with people we wouldn't hang out with outside of the office. And either Curtis and Amy feel the same way, or they are just really good fakers because they invited me over to dinner on Friday too.

Friday we went to a place called "The World Grill." The food was amazing. I have never been to one of those places where the food was so pretty you were afraid to eat it, until now. I took a few pictures. The waiter seemed to be getting a kick out of me... maybe I should get out more.




Today I drove down to St Augustine. St Augustine is the oldest continuously populated community in the US. It is just over 440 years old. I know that's an infant when compared with Europe and Asia, but for America, it was pretty cool. I took the Big Red Train tour. It was fun. I learned lots about the settlement and history of the city including too much about H. Flagler who turned it into the tourist town it is today, the fort and the many british and french invasions, and even saw The Fountain of Youth. I got off the tour and went thru the original Ripley's Believe it or Not (the one they film the tv show from) as well as the Old Florida Museum.



After that I went down to the walking only part of town and had lunch at the Florida Cracker Cafe. I decided to give the Gator Tails another try, as my previous attempt at eating alligator was somewhat tainted by the cajun pepper seasoning. This time they were battered and fried. To be honest, the cliche really is true... it does taste just like chicken.


I spent a little more time on St George Street before deciding to come back to the hotel. I did a little shopping on the way home and now I think I am going to hang out in the pool until the sun goes down or maybe not... I've just heard a very loud game of Marco Polo being played... Maybe it's just a Saturday away from home, but it's a pretty good one if you ask me! :)

1 comments:

    On 9:30 AM, April 04, 2007 Anonymous said...

    mmmmmm! Finally someone else posting pictures of their food online. It's a happier internet.

     

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum