Purple's a fruit

Well, maybe it’s not a fruit, but it IS a flavor. One of the popular flavors of treats here is ube. Ube translates, literally, to purple. Technically, ube is a tuber like sweet potatoes. That’s probably the easiest way to describe how it tastes as well.

Speaking of food… Tonight Desi took me to a BBQ place for dinner before work. Cebu is famous for its BBQ. Which makes sense when I think about the miles – no exaggeration - of BBQ stands between CVG and the Marco Polo where I am staying.
It was pretty cool; you basically walk past a meat counter and pick up everything you want them to grill for you. I must admit the bags of shells that were still moving caught me off guard, but Desi says it is so you know they are alive. It means they are fresh, not dead or diseased. We had pork, and sausage, and a kabob, and chicken, and scallops on the half shell, and a squid, and some kind of shell, and a coconut to drink… oi… It was all soooo good. Now if I can manage to stay awake through my shift, I’m going to call it a win.

She also brought me a little bag of treasures.. honestly, a bag. It's beautiful and hand woven and I may be a purse aholic. She snuck in some peanut kisses and dried mangoes and some guitar keychains. Cebu is also famous for guitar making... I had no idea. I am learning so much today :)

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum