yt?

I am convinced that Instant Messaging is going to be the downfall of verbal communication. We send our words into the great expanse of the internet, with only the hope that the person we are “talking” to is sitting near their computer. Sure there are “away” settings, but rarely do people use them accurately. We forget to put ourselves away when we leave. We set ourselves as invisible when we don’t want everyone to know where we are.

While we are busy picking and choosing where we want people to be able to see us – We are constantly looking for MORE places to choose from. It’s not just email IM anymore – now we also have myspace, facebook, lds linkup, etc all with their own IM services. I know more people’s AIM and MSN ids than I do phone numbers. (Ok, so part of that is because my cell phone holds phone numbers… but come to think of it, I can add email too….hmmm) We are basically looking to be available to our chosen “contacts,” at all times and in all things and in all places – while at the same time- only answering or talking when we are in the mood. If you don’t want to answer, you just don’t. There is no way for them to know if you got the message or not. We can blame the computer for our bad manners.

It’s no longer required for you to type complete words, let alone complete sentences or bother formally finishing a conversation. “Hello” and “good bye” have been replaced with “yt” and “k”

The only way to express emotion is weird little faces that can look like anything from dots and lines to shamrocks or clown faces or cars or monsters or light bulbs, or if you get real fancy, pictures that move or play music, depending on the messaging system you are on.

Many of you are aware just how much my life involved IM. Whether I am at work or in my personal life – probably 80% of my communication is done via IM. That amount would increase dramatically if my mom were a faster typist ;) The rest of my communication can be summed up in 2 words – Conference Calls.

So what am I getting at you ask? Here it is - I am giving you the permission to hold me accountable. If you catch me being guilty of poor IM manners – tell me so. For that matter – I am giving you call to arms to stand up for good communication manners everywhere.

As a side note - I miss TALKING to people. So, when I do corner you on the phone or at church or across the table – just understand I rarely get the chance to communicate 1:1 or face to face – so I am just trying to make the very most of each and every opportunity :) I probably do know I am talking too much, but it doesn’t mean I am going to stop.

1 comments:

    Stop by the next time that you're driving through!

     

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum