India - Part 4

I found out this afternoon that because of a lack of communication, last night my driver reported to the office at 11p and waited until 7a for me. I had actually left at 9 for the previously mentioned dinner. I REALLY must tip him well at the end of this. I’m being told it’s not a big deal, but if I was left waiting for someone for 8 hours, I’d be livid. Of course, I probably also would have called one of the 3 numbers he had to clarify, but still, livid. He will probably be less than pleased that he is picking me up at the office at 11 tonight and will be reporting back to my hotel at 530 in the morning. Maybe they get used to stuff like that? I am spoiled by my very normal office hours. If my daily cab fare is about $6, what do you suppose the right amount of – I am so sorry – tip would be?
Ekta is the amazing admin who is helping me set up my “tourist” activities. She has arranged my trip to The Taj tomorrow and my shopping activities this weekend. The place I will be shopping is used to having foreigners, so I will not need a friend assigned and they will take my American plastic money. WOOT :)
I love the way everyone is watching out for me here. I am so excited about this trip tomorrow, but concerned about missing my cab or being late for the tour bus. I’m a worrier. I was just chatting with Neeraj (my assigned friend for the trip to Agra) and I didn’t even mention these concerns, but he asked if I had a local number so he can call and make sure that my cab picks me up on time. Since I don’t have a local number, he’s going to get my driver’s number so he can call him. He and his wife will be meeting me at the tour start in Delhi. I told him how much I appreciated him giving up his day off and he was so gracious about it – especially since they told him he could bring his wife he said it only mattered that they could spend their days off together (yes, they are newlyweds, I think half the people I’ve met are newlyweds) and that it is such a great sight to see, and he didn’t mind at all. Anyway, I just really appreciate all the interest and concern I have been given. I like to think I am an ok traveler, but when most of the people outside of work and the hotel don’t speak functional English, it kind of puts me at a loss.
Follow up – the driver picked me up 35 minutes late tonight. Of course it was the one night I didn’t have his number with me. Thanks again to the many kind souls playing phone tag so we could find him. His card will be in my wallet from now on, without fail.

0 comments:

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum