In Memoriam


Am I the only one who catches a tear in her eye during the “in memoriam” part of the awards shows? I have never met these people, many I have never even heard of, but then there are always a couple… a couple of memories that seem to define so many of mine. Dick Clark was at every new year’s eve party I have ever been to, even if that party was just me and a couple of friends in my college apartment. Whitney Houston, every girl who has ever fancied herself a singer has tried to hold that note. But for me, this year, I actually miss Andy Griffith. Is it possible to miss someone you’ve never met?  Thinking about Andy always makes me think about my Grandma Golda. There was rarely a Sunday night that we missed Matlock, and when it went into reruns, we watched it every summer weekday at noon. Yes, really.  I miss her. I miss spending time at her home, where it seemed everyone gathered. I miss making cookies, to encourage everyone to gather :) I miss pancakes that were always just a little black. I miss the Valentine box full of chocolate kisses. I miss the organ being played loud enough to hear from the street. I miss her smile. There are so many things I wish I could get her opinion on. So many triumphs I would have welcomed that hug.  So many happy moments I would love to share with her.  My personal beliefs allow me to know that she has been able to see and experience them all, and probably even more than she could have if she was here, but it doesn’t mean that I can’t wish I could see her, hold her, feel her arms around me just one more time.

Come to think about it, I guess crying at an award show, isn’t really ALL that strange.

1 comments:

    Are you really back? Or are you just teasing us?

     

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum